This past month on the Albuquerque Self Storage blog we have spent most of our time discussing the value of self storage, whether or not it is a good investment and the like. After those two entries, we have hopefully sold you on the value of self-storage units. Assuming so, let us go ahead and move on to the next bit of knowledge you’ll know doubt be looking for. Here are some more self-storage tips to get you packing away your belongings with ease.
Self Storage Tips
- Choose Your Facility
- When settling on a facility make sure the company you will be entrusting to secure your belongings is worthy of that trust.
- Consider More Than the Tag
- The price of the storage unit might be exactly what you are looking for but that is not all there is to think on. Consider how close the unit is to your home or work, wherever you will be accessing it from the most frequently. What about security? IS the unit gated or have a 24/7 manager on site? If you value those specifics, it may be worth it to spend the extra few dollars elsewhere to have the peace of mind.
- Evaluate the Environment
- This really could be more of an addendum to the last point. Evaluate the environment you will be storing in. Albuquerque for instance has some of the best year-round weather in the US but not everyone is so lucky. Not to mention that even with those mild temps, occasionally it does get into the 90’s and if there are belongings that need to be kept out of the heat you will want to know just what they can handle. This evaluation will help you decide on what type of unit you need, maybe climate controlled is the way to go.
- Insure Your Possessions
- Whatever it is you are storing it is clearly valuable to you. If that is the case, then you should also be willing to get some insurance on your belongings. While units are secure, disasters or acts of god are particularly difficult to predict (go figure.) and if anything should happen if you are uninsured, it will be much harder to come back from.
- Store Smart
- The BIG tip. Storing your items effectively is the best thing you can do when it comes to using a storage unit. Throwing a bunch of stuff in a unit haphazardly is a quick way to run out of usable space. Instead make sure everything is stored in boxes or bins and stacked correctly, all organized efficiently. While you’re at it, make sure you know where everything is. Fragile items up top, while the heavy items sit on the floor, not on top of other less dense boxes. Then, make sure you have a way to access any area of the unit without too much box shuffling.
Take these storage tips to heart and you’ll be using your unit in the best way possible.